The President of the United States is the head of state and government of the United States of America. The president directs the executive branch of the federal government and is the commander-in-chief of the United States Armed Forces. In contemporary times, the president is looked upon as one of the world's most powerful political figures as the leader of the only remaining global superpower. The role includes responsibility for the world's most expensive military, which has the second largest nuclear arsenal. The president also leads the nation with the largest economy by nominal GDP. The president possesses significant domestic and international hard and soft power.
Presidents in the Ryanverse
- Unnamed President (1985 - 1989) - He remains unnamed in the novels, serving as a President in The Hunt for Red October through Clear and Present Danger. He runs for reelection in 1988 but allows himself to be defeated in order to cover up Operation Reciprocity and to protect the honor of those involved.
- J. Robert Fowler (1989 - 1991) - Former Governor of Ohio. He served as President at the end of Clear and Present Danger and The Sum of All Fears. He resigned in disgrace at the end of the novel after a series of questionable decisions and the attempted nuclear strike on the holy city of Qom.
- Roger Durling (1991 - 1996) - Fowler's Vice President and former Governor of California. He succeeded Fowler following his resignation and served as President through The Sum of All Fears and Debt of Honor. Durling completes Fowler's term and is elected in 1992 and 1996. Despite this, Durling and the majority of the U.S Government was killed after an embittered Japan Air Lines pilot flew a Boeing 747 into the U.S. Capitol.
- Jack Ryan, Sr. (1996 - 2001, 2009 - Present) - Former Deputy Director of the CIA. He succeeded Edward Kealty as Vice President under President Durling. However, he succeeded Durling as President following his death at the end of Debt of Honor. He completes Durling's term and is elected in 2001 prior to The Bear and the Dragon. Towards the end of his full term Ryan decided to not run for re-election, allowing his Vice President Robby Jackson to run. Days before the election Jackson was assassinated by a member of the Ku Klux Klan, making Edward Kealty the winner by default. During Kealty's Presidency Ryan decides to come out of retirement and successfully runs against Kealty in the 2008 Presidential Election prior to Threat Vector. As he is the current President of the United States, all novels following Commander in Chief take place before 2013 as this year would mark the end of Ryan's term as President.
- Edward Kealty (2005 - 2009) - Former Vice President under President Durling. He won the 2004 Presidential Election by default after his opponent, President Jackson, was assassinated. Kealty served as President from The Teeth of the Tiger to Locked On. He ultimately lost the 2008 Presidential Election to former President Jack Ryan.
- James Bennett (1991 - 1995) - He is the President in the film, Clear and Present Danger and is based on the unnamed President from the novel.